Sunday, October 12, 2008

Eat, Create and Be Merry

I starved you for 2 weeks, but the feast you are about to receive should be worth it! You may want to get a bib so you don't drool on your computer!

I can't think of anything much better than eating or creating, but when combined together two of my favorite things are even better! The latest two installments of recipe club were out of this world. After spending Friday night and Saturday in the company of both of my Recipe Club Classes I have a lot to be merry about! Of course my week was spent in frantic preparation for the two events, but the efforts were truly worth it. It's an amazing process to take a typed recipe and transform it into a readable, creative 6X6 piece of artwork. I first come up with a concept based on the amount of information I have to include in the limited amount of space. Next I typeset the information into a hopefully legible and visually pleasing layout. I also have to include a title and from whom the recipe was obtained. Then I let the creativity take over and hopefully come up with something that brings out both the personality of the food but also the personality of the woman who provided the recipe. After my prototype is complete I prep the projects so that the class member can come together and recreate the art for their own kitchens. It's so much fun to enjoy each other's company as we eat the food and recreate the projects together.

I have to give special kudos to Mikensee (my 11 year old DD) who made the adorable pumpkin stickpins. She made them at my request (with the concept for my card still in my head.) The first batch she made burned and she cried. She was so disappointed. I convinced her it would be worth it for her to make them again so she did. I wish I had taken a picture of the pumpkin patch but I didn't think about. They were so cute in the pin cushion together; each with their very own personality! The card would not have been the same with out them! She did an amazing job. I'm very proud of her. That Makins Clay is just fun stuff!




Let the feast begin!


















8 comments:

Jen said...

great job!!! how did i not get into this class? ahhh.. i want to be in the next one. these are all so beautiful!

Stacey said...

These are beautiful. I WISH I lived in Az. and could be a part of this class. What a BUNCH of LUCKY women!!!!!

Stacey said...

I need to add to that comment...
Mikensee, you did a FABULOUS job on those pumpkins!! GOOD for you!! It looks to me that you are EVERY bit as talented as your mom!!!! GREAT job! Keep up the good work!!! I will look forward to seeing MORE of your creations in the future!!!
:)

Anonymous said...

must.make.chocolate.cake!

Anonymous said...

OMG, my Funky Friend - these are incredible!!! They would look awesome in my cookbook!! better yet, they would look better beside the dish created and then served to me!!! lol

Great job as always, and you already know how jealous i am of your amazing creativity... & you also know that AZ would be the state to head to if i was a moving!!

'til we meet... I will just say "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" - now that is in a highpitched voice with light streaming everywhere.

Tamara said...

I love the card you made for my enchiladas -- soooo sad I missed the class. I owe a huge Thank YOU to Mikensee for making cards for me. Miss you both!

Kari said...

That was seriously a feast of goodies!!! Looks like those ladies are making a *FAB* recipe book :)

Sue from Oregon said...

Wow, saw this on Card of the Week's best mini albums...how wonderful!