Saturday, December 22, 2007

On the 11th Day Of Christmas

Neatly Wrapped Christmas Carmels:


Obviously not as much paper craft as kitchen craft, but I did stamp the tags and use ribbon! LOL! Not the project I had planned for today, but I forgot a design team assignment that was due (gulp) yesterday! As a result my stamping time today was used for that project which I will post AFTER CHRISTMAS as it involves a lot of pink and hearts. . . yup, Valentine's Day!

I promised my Carmel Recipe and here it is. I think I made 20 pounds this year! No joke! I made 2 pans a day for 7 days and I have 5 pieces left. I'm going to have to make another pan for my family or they may never wrap carmels again!

Soft Carmels:

1 C Butter
1 C White Sugar
1 C Brown Sugar
1 C Karo Syrup
1 C Sweetened Condensed Milk
Vanilla
Nuts (optional)

Put all ingredients in HEAVY sauce pan and stir over medium low heat for DAYS! Just kidding. . . It takes about 20 minutes per pan. DO NOT DOUBLE. Once your mixture is boiling and bubbly and smelling really, really good, you put in your candy thermometer. Cook to 238' for soft carmels, 240' for chewy carmels and 242-245 if you prefer carmels you can suck on for days. Add vanilla and stir like crazy while you pour in a butter flavor crisco greased glass pan of either 8X8 or 9X13 size. If you are adding nuts do it with the vanilla. Allow to cool at room temperature for a while. You may then refrigerate or put outside in the snow if you are lucky enough to have snow. At room temperature cut and wrap in waxed paper.

So here's a few more pictures of the carmels we'll be dolling out tomorrow! Betting you wished you lived closer!!!


1 comment:

Kari said...

So glad you posted this ... I just *love* homemade caramels!! I don't live THAT far away, do I?!